The Universe of Energy has been open since October of 1982. During it’s 35 years in operation it educated people about the energy around our world. We always thought of this lengthy attraction as a way to get out the the rain or cool of for a nap on a hot day.
It has recently been announced at D23, that the Universe of Energy attraction will be closing on August 13th, 2017 and I can’t help but look forward to what has been announced to replace it.
The new Guardians of the Galaxy attraction will be inside the current Universe of Energy building. Disney has not released an opening date for the attraction but Disney Parks Blog says “Epcot’s brand new E-ticket attraction will be based on the rockin’ and action-packed world of “Guardians of the Galaxy” and is the next step in how guests can encounter these characters at the Walt Disney World Resort. Epcot just may be the perfect place for a “Guardians”-inspired attraction”
Mission: SPACE has been under refurbishment recently and now we know why…
in just a few weeks, guests will be able to enjoy new adventures at Mission: SPACE – an updated Orange Mission (more intense training) and a brand-new Green Mission (Less intense experience).
Disney Parks Blog states “The updated Orange Mission will make an even more visually stunning trip to Mars, while the all-new Green adventure will allow guests to blast off for an orbital adventure around planet Earth.”
Which mission will you take the next time you visit this attraction?
One other announcement has been made for Epcot at D23 and that is the opening of a Ratatouille inspired attraction in the France Pavilion. Guests will be able to shrink to Remy’s size and scurry to safety in a dazzling chase across a kitchen with the sights, sounds and smells of Gusteau’s legendary Parisian restaurant. According to Disney Parks blog this attraction will open sometime in 2021.
I look forward to bringing you updated information about these attractions as they open in the parks. Stay tuned…
Thank you for reading! My name is Melissa and I am a Disney fanatic; I’m also a travel agent. You will find me in one of the Disney parks with my family almost every weekend. I love to all of the new experiences that Disney is always offering. If you’re dreaming of a Disney vacation, why not take advantage of some FREE, experienced planning assistance? It all starts with a free quote. Visit my website or email me for more information.
Melissa – Pixie Dust Adventures www.PixieDustAdventures.com
Disney is always great about keeping things new & fresh in their parks. This always gives us a reason to visit over & over again. It looks like some of the major additions in 2017 will be Star Wars themed attractions in Hollywood Studios and Pandora – the World of Avatar in Animal Kingdom. Weather you visit every few years, once a week or once in a lifetime, Disney always has something to thrill and entertain everyone.
Disney’s official new attraction announcement for 2017 is as follows:
1) “Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular” Fireworks at Disney’s Hollywood Studios® This “out of this world” fireworks spectacular, which returned a few weeks ago to Disney’s Hollywood Studios, uses the latest projections effects, lighting, lasers and pyrotechnics to light up the sky, Star Wars style.
2) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – Inspired additions to Star Wars Launch Bay Guests can celebrate the newest cinematic addition to Star Wars, courtesy of an assortment of props from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
3) MagicBand 2 Rolls Out MagicBand 2, the next iteration of bands that offer the same helpful functions as the original bands, have just made their way to select Disney Parks merchandise locations and the Shop Disney Parks app. Stay tuned for more updates!
4) Exclusive New Star Wars Tour Now Available at Disney’s Hollywood Studios This seven-hour experience, led by a Star Wars “all-in-the-know” tour guide, allows guests to experience Star Tours – The Adventures Continue; get an insider’s tour and meet characters at Star Wars Launch Bay; screen “Star Wars: Path of the Jedi” and enjoy Star Wars-themed menu items at Backlot Express. The tour wraps at the Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party, which includes reserved viewing for the show. Younglings ages 4-12 on the Guided Tour package can also train in the way of The Force in Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple. The price is $129 per Guest.
5) Disney After Hours Events Return January-March Disney After Hours returns to Magic Kingdom® Park on Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 2, 9, 16, March 2 and 9, 2017. This 3-hour event takes place after the park closes and is only open to a limited number of Guests, which means much shorter lines at 25 attractions, character greetings and more. The cost is $119 per adult or child (tax not included).
6) More Dining to Debut at Disney Springs Dozens of shopping and dining locations made their debut at Disney Springs in 2016 – and even more are set to open in 2017! Stay tuned for news and opening dates for Paddlefish, The Polite Pig, The Edison and Wine Bar George. Planet Hollywood Observatory officially opened on January 27th and is now taking reservations.
7) Milestone Races for runDisney It’s the 20th Anniversary of the Walt Disney World Half Marathon. And to celebrate, they’ve made Donald Duck their mascot. Also, in anticipation of the release of “Beauty & The Beast” this spring, runDisney has themed this year’s Princess Half Marathon after the film.
8) First-Ever Epcot® International Festival of the Arts Begins January 13 Epcot will start 2017 off with a bang, offering a brand new art festival for guests to experience. This new offering will run weekends between Jan 13-Feb. 20, 2017 and will showcase visual, culinary and performing arts.
9) Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival Begins March 1 This year’s spring festival will run March 1-May 29, 2017. Festival “firsts” include brand-new topiaries of Belle and Figment, two new outdoor kitchens (bringing the total to 15), and a “Cars” interactive play garden for kids in honor of the upcoming Disney•Pixar film, “Cars 3.”
10) New Garden Rocks Dining Packages to debut at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival During the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival, dining packages will be available on select days at a number of Epcot restaurants, combining dinner and reserved seating for performances of the Garden Rocks Concert Series.
11) New Family Raft Ride at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park Coming this spring, guests can enjoy a new family-style raft attraction at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park. Planned to be one of the longest Disney water park attractions, this experience will immerse guests in the story of treasure hunter, Captain Mary Oceaneer. Guests will gently ascend in treasure rafts, only to plunge into a whitewater adventure where they may encounter some of Mary’s legendary treasure.
12) Boulder Ridge Cove, Geyser Point Bar & Grill Opening Summer 2017 Scheduled to open at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge in summer 2017, Boulder Ridge Cove pool will feature an expanded sun deck and zero-depth-entry pool in what appears to have been an abandoned rock quarry. Geyser Point Bar & Grill, a new quick-service eatery, will be located in the heart of the feature pool area of Disney’s Wilderness Lodge.
13) Pandora – The World of AVATAR Opening May 27th 2017 This new land will open its doors at Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park on May 27th 2017 with exciting new offerings – including AVATAR Flight of Passage, the Na’vi River Journey, the Satu’li Canteen Restaurant, Pongu Pongu drink location and Windtraders merchandise shop. Details on Pandora Opening HERE
Rivers of Light – The much anticipated Rivers of Light show is scheuled to being in Animal Kingdom Park opened on February 17th! It feels like I have been waiting for this for years. Oh wait, I have. Details on the Rivers of Light show HERE
14) Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Returns for a Record 75 Days This year’s festival will kick off on August 31 and run through November 13 – for a record 75 days!
15) 35th Anniversary of Epcot The second theme park to be built at the Walt Disney World Resort will mark its 35th anniversary on Oct. 1, 2017.
16) More Updates to Star Wars-Inspired Land As we’ve previously shared, a Star Wars-inspired land is currently under construction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Measuring 14-acres, this new land will transport guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life.
The entire Star Wars themed lands in both Disneyland & Disney World are set to open in 2019.
17) Return of Holiday Favorites Stay tuned for updates on next year’s Candlelight Processional narrators, the return of Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party at Magic Kingdom Park, “Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM” at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and more!
With so many new things happening around Walt Disney World, 2017 is a perfect time to visit.
On a more personal note, I did not see any announcement of the highly anticipated show, “Rivers of Light” in Animal Kingdom. This show was originally scheduled to open in the spring of 2016 and was temporary replaced by the “Jungle Book: Alive with Magic” show. I thoroughly enjoyed the Jungle Book show and it seemed only to wet my appetite for the new River’s of Light show. I will be watching for any new developments as far as this water show is concerned & I will be sure to share with all of my followers here and on Facebook.
Thank you for reading. My name is Melissa and I am a Florida local; I am also a Travel Agent. I spend almost every weekend in the Disney Parks with my family. Do you have a topic you would like to know more about? Just ask in the comments below and I’m happy to blog by request and even visit a specific place in person. If you are considering a Walt Disney World vacation in 2017, all of my booking and planning services are FREE and it all starts with a free quote. Contact me or visit my website today & fill out the quote form.
Melissa – Pixie Dust Adventures www.PixieDustAdventures.com